Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Years - Bah Humbug

I'm going to share something with you all that may surprise you and something that I've never really shared with anyone probably because I only realized it recently: I hate New Years Day. I don't hate New Years Eve. I dig the whole ball drop, kiss me at midnight, partying, countdown business. . . as long as I'm not stuck at work like I was this year, but New Years Day, once the first minute or so passes, is really just another day with a few exceptions. And it's these exceptions that make it suck.

New Years Day marks the end of the holiday season which sucks. I love the holidays. I've told you before. I even had a few more "Things about Christmas that are great" posts rolling around in my head, but thanks to my own illness, Christmas itself, and kitty illness, they never made it from brain to blog. Maybe I'll just save it for next year. But anyway, I do love the holidays. It makes the cold and crappy weather suck much less. Time with families, etc. etc. So all of that being over. . . I don't like it.

New Years Day marks the return to reality. What I mean by that is, work will be getting back to normal. No more cookies and candy and other Christmasy goodies brought in. No more parties. All those people that were gone on vacation will be back. Lame. For most of my life, it also marks the return to school after a break. This year it was a very much needed six week break. I'm not ready to return to that lifestyle. My brain can't wrap itself around the fact that I can't just sleep and watch tv and stuff during the day like I have been. I have to go back to school. . . I don't like it.

New Years Day marks the beginning of the longest part of Winter. I know Winter officially starts on December 21st and the weather sucks for at least a few weeks before that. But that suckiness is offset by the holidays. It doesn't count. Now...there's nothing to look forward to until my birthday at the end of March. February is by far my least favorite month of the year. I spent most of my live absolutely loathing Valentine's Day. I don't hate it as much as I used to, but I still don't like it. Plus, bad things always happen in February in my life. Seriously. I traced the history of it. I've finally realized that I should never attempt new endeavors in February. They will inevitably fail. So all that to say, Winter just flat out sucks from here on out. No holidays to make it less sucky now. I don't like it.

New Years Day marks the beginning of everyone's New Years Resolutions. I'd like to tell you that I don't fall into the trap of changing my behavior just because it's the start of the new year, but that would be a lie. For some reason, it's always easier for me to make changes along with other changes going on. So I'm restarting my endeavor to lose weight which is always more difficult at this time of year because: 1) Everyone else has the same idea. Gyms are at their busiest for the first 3 months of the year. By about April, most resolutioners have crapped out. 2) It's cold. One big reason I fell off the healthy wagon earlier this month was because the temperatures were in the single digits and I just didn't want to go out in that mess in order to work out. It'll be easier now that I'll be on campus for school anyway, but it still sucks. I don't like that.

So there you go. I'm not a fan of New Years as it is the beginning of what is the most unpleasant chunk of the year for me. I've already warned you that I will be a bit grouchier than usual and that grouchiness will certainly leak onto my blog. The good news is, when I get pissy, I get wittier and snarkier which should provide better reading material for you all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment