Thursday, January 13, 2011

Reasons I Hate Winter, Vol. 2

Yep. I suck. Apologies for my lack of bloggage. The quarter started last week and then I got sick, which makes this post that has been sitting in draft status since before Christmas all the more appropriate. Hopefully as I start to settle into my schedule a little more, I'll be blogging more regularly again. Anyway, here it is:

This will be an ongoing series that will likely last through mid-March because there is a whole slew of things that I hate about winter. Today, we're going to talk about health problems brought on by winter. I'm not talking about seasonal affective disorder. I don't think I suffer from that. I do get very moody and grouchy during the winter, but it's because of all the crap I hate about it. So here's your warning, after New Years, I'll be a bit of a sourpuss.

Anyway, of the few physical ailments that seem to be attached to coldness, the one that is by far the most inconvenient and annoying is dry skin.

Dry skin has only become a noticeable problem for me over the last 5 years or so, but it's gotten worse every year. And let me tell you, if you don't have this problem, it is a BITCH!! It's to the point now where I am all dry, flaky, and itchy even immediately after getting out of the shower. I use moisturizing lotion and all that jazz, but it only goes so far. 

Nose Bleeds





I fall under the more common category here. I'm never gushing blood or anything, but every time I blow my nose, there's a significant swatch of red in what comes out. This tends to make me a little more susceptible to sinus infections. I actually haven't had one in quite some time *knock on wood* but the worst one I ever had put me in a hospital because I could not breathe. It was awful. I wasn't admitted or anything, but they gave me some heavy drugs and sent me on my way. I then had to take a final in my marketing class that afternoon because the douche prof that taught it refused to give make-up exams. Hospital stays were no excuse. A-hole.

Joint Pain

I know this sounds like an old lady problem, but I played a combined total of 23 seasons of volleyball, basketball, and softball. That crap will add a few years of wear and tear to those joints. So when the weather starts getting cold, and especially when it first starts getting cold, my joints, especially my knees and ankles ache with every move I make. It really sucks to feel like a geriatric at the age of 26. I don't really have this problem in the summer though.

The General Sickies

I think you know what I mean: sore throat, effed up sinuses, headaches, whatever. I always have a problem during the winter of just feeling crappy without actually having a legit cold, flu, or virus. Sometimes this crappy feeling without measurable cause can put me out of commission for a few days. Lack of sleep tends to increase the intensity, length, and frequency of the general sickies. This means it will probably happen even more now that I work third shift.

So all this to say, EFF YOU WINTER! I hate you and the crappy things you do to my body. I'm even planning on moving south to get the hell away from you. Maybe I should grab a bat and beat the living crap out of your knees and then drain your skin of any and all moisture so you know how it feels. Then maybe you'd stop being such a bitch.

2 comments:

  1. The dry skin is the worst. I feel like a lizard some days, and it makes me miss the old house with steam heat. Ah, sweet humidity.
    Give that bastard's kneecaps a couple swings from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we should all get a turn with that bat! The skin and ankle problems I am right there with you for! When it's cold, my ankles are horribly sore and pop all of the time which almost brings me to my knees. Mother Nature is most definitely a bitch!

    ReplyDelete