Friday, January 14, 2011

Music

So today was a good day. Hubby and I finally got the iPhone 4. I've been awaiting this day since last June. As I watched live blogs giving the details on the new iPhone, I was salivating and crossing every finger that by some miracle of the AT&T gods, we would qualify for an early upgrade. Alas, it wasn't to be. We qualified as of today so today we upgraded. Here's the short of it: it's magical. Going from the iPhone 3G to the 4 is like going from a scooter to a supersport motorcycle. It's at least 5 times faster doing everything, plus all the extras like the front and rear facing cameras, the flash, the video capabilities, etc. etc. Love it.

And yes, I realize that it is slightly absurd that I got an new iPhone less than a month after getting an iPad. I have this incessant need to have the latest technology. It's a trait I apparently inherited from my grandpa (my mom's dad). He died when I was 2, so I never really knew him, but apparently he was pretty avant garde with gadgets in his day.

Anyway, to me, the best part of the new iPhone is having twice the amount of storage that I did before. Why? Because now I can put ALL of my music on my phone instead of just about half of it. Just in the few hours I've been listening, I've rediscovered some great music that I forgot I had just because they weren't in the few playlists I elected to put in my nominal 8 Gb phone.

It's reminded me just how much I love music. Music is something I've loved since I can remember. The first cassette tape I remember asking for was the soundtrack for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II movie when I was about 6. Hey, I didn't say I always had good taste. Anyway, the only career goal I've actually adhered to through my entire life is to be a rock star. Most of you probably don't know that I play guitar, bass guitar, drums, and piano, and I spent 4 years on and off running a sound board. Now, let me be clear, I am not some super musician. Guitar is my best instrument, and I'm mediocre at it at best. I am completely self-taught though. Only ever had one guitar class that I took for an easy grade after I already knew how to play.

Although I will never be a rock star, I did get to play for the praise band at my church on and off for about 4 years and even got to lead it for about 4 months before the church imploded on itself. Long story, not going into it. Anyway, that was August of 2009 and I've barely touched my guitar since. This makes me sad. :( <-- See. That's me. Sad. I don't have an abundance of free time since I've been in school full time in addition to a full time job and a marriage ever since that August, but I really got to make time to start playing again.

I'm not sure why I went into this big long spiel. I guess it's just me wanting to get my thoughts out. Final thoughts: I love music. Music is awesome. If I could make it my career, that would be the bestest ever, but sometimes passions are meant to be just that: passions. Perhaps if I was a way awesome rock star, I'd end up hating it and that would really suck.

Rock on.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray music! I love so much of it. From african drumming to Niel Diamond, from Tchaikovsky to Metallica, from John Hartford to Beatles, Rolling Stones to 5 Finger Death Punch...

    Suffice to say I have a very diverse range of taste. :)
    I even liked parts of the TMNT soundtrack. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for your iPhone!! I got an iPad and my music is constantly playing. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently bought a guitar again, after about two years of not owning one. It felt great being able to be creative like that again.

    ReplyDelete