Sunday, November 7, 2010

Technology Pros and Cons

Yep, that's right. 4 posts in one night. This shift has become a rather desperate battle to stay awake.

Onward.

I am big into technology, computers, gadgets, etc. I've always been fascinated by these things. When I was about 11 or 12 years old and my mom took me to Wal-Mart, I didn't go to the toys. I went to the electronics. That's how I roll. Anyway, technology has progressed rapidly over the last couple of decades. Some technology has made certain aspects of life much easier and/or more enjoyable. However, many technological advances have their downsides as well. Here are some examples:

Automatic Toilets

Pro: You don't have to lay hands or, in my case, the soles of your shoes on some nasty, grimy, disease-ridden handle, lever, or button to flush your turds down the toilet. The toilet does it for you.

Con: Some automatic toilets can be a little overzealous. Anytime they sense ANY movement, they flush. Sit down - flush. Slight weight shift - flush. Move forward to grab TP - flush. Wipe - flush. All the while this flushing is gently spraying your butt with poopy water. Ew. On the other hand, we also have the ill-timed flusher that will flush while you're sitting on it, but won't flush after you've done your business until you dance a jig in front of it.

Smart Phones

Pros: There are many, but in a nutshell - you get to carry a nearly fully functioning computer in your pocket.

Cons: Addiction. Some of us, including myself, can't function without having their phone on their person. I can't sit down at a table without checking it. I can't sit on my couch without checking it. I can't go to sleep without checking it. It has become a compulsion. Take my laptop away, I'll live. Take my iPhone away, I will shank your ass.



GPS Systems

Pros: They tell you where to go without you having to try and read a map or printed directions while driving. And then there's the special voices. Who in the hell wouldn't want to get directions to grandma's from Yoda. In one mile, left turn you will make, hmm.

Cons: Sometimes, they try to kill you.



Twitter/Texting


Pros: Quick and easy social interaction. You can talk to people in situations where you might not be able to make a phone call. You can get news pretty much instantly. You get to hear from your favorite celebrities. Overall, I dig twitter and texting.

Cons: Two things, really. There's the overshare. Somehow even though we usually know the people that will be reading it, texting and twitter give an illusion of anonymity. It's like the little kid that covers their eyes and then thinks you can't see them. I admit, I'm guilty of it too, but it's still a con. The other, crap like this: "i hav a pasi0n 4 chuck lyk the bratz hav a pasi0n 4 fash0in ahaha i did n0t jst say tht hahaha- xD" Things like this make my eyes bleed. 

That's about all I've got for now. I'm sure I'll think of more later. When that times, another post will too.



No comments:

Post a Comment