Monday, November 15, 2010

Business Practices

So, as I previously mentioned, I had to take the Praxis exam this past Saturday. I've already made my gripes known about standardized testing in general, but there's one thing I didn't mention. The fact that most upper level tests (ACT, SAT, and pretty much every Grad entrance exam) are administered by private organizations is a bit alarming to me. Now, they are primarily non-profit organizations, but just because they're not profit doesn't mean that they don't pay their administration a freakin fortune. The money has to be going somewhere. The actual cost of administering one Praxis exam to one individual is not $130. There's no way.

Anway, this got me to thinking how some businesses can get away with things others can't. Kind of like how theme parks can charge $10 for a bottle of water or a baseball park can charge $8 for a hot dog. Grocery stores could never get away with this. People would starve. So anyway, I decided to transfer my frustration with the Praxis experience into a badly drawn comic. I tried imagining what it would be like if I had similar experiences with other monetary transactions...

In case you didn't catch what that last panel entails...I won't get my test results for 4 weeks. 4 FREAKIN WEEKS! I'm quite certain that's how long it took me to get my ACT test results back, 9 years ago. So, although technology in the real world has progressed to the point that I now have a computer that I can carry in my pocket that is more powerful than the desktop computer we had back then, technology in the test-result reporting world has apparently not progressed. One. Iota. Perhaps they still depend on the Pony Express.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I remember those ACT and SAT tests. And the comic is spot on!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete