Friday, November 26, 2010

Butterfly in the sky...

So, I'm back from my vacay. Sad face. The bad news for me is that I have to return to my reality of cold weather and work. The good news for my vast multitude of readers it that I should get back to blogging regularly. Yay for you.

So, since Jumble Mash fulfilled my request to share with her readers what she reads, I thought it would only be fair to do the same myself. I used to read a lot back in elementary school. Mostly Goosebumps and Judy Blume's Fudge books and the like, but then I kinda fell out of reading all though junior high and high school. I picked up a load of extracurriculars and just didn't have time to read. Once I got to college, though, I started reading again. Mostly Christian self-help type books which certainly served their purpose at the time, but aren't really things I'd read again.

Then I discovered C. S. Lewis.

It is safe to say that Lewis is my favorite author. The first work of his I read was The Chronicles of Narnia. They're children's books, but I didn't get around to reading them until I was 21. I still loved them. They're great stories. Kind of like the Harry Potter of the mid-19th century. Yes, they have Christian overtones, but a lot of people would never pick up on that. Simply put, they are great stories. The Horse and His Boy is one of my favorite books of all time. After that, I read some of his other works like Mere Christianity, The Great Divorce, and The Screwtape Letters. These three books kind of turned my personal beliefs upside down...in a good way. But The Great Divorce and The Screwtape Letters are also just great stories. Which brings us to...

Harry Potter. LOVE these books. I avoided reading them for a very long time. They started getting popular when I was a teenager and I was obviously way too cool to be reading children's books then. So I didn't read them until about 4 months before the 7th book came out. I've read all of them 3 times. I don't need to tell you anymore about them. You already know.

I read sparingly for a while after that until I went back to school. I had to read a lot of foreign literature for a couple classes. The only book that stuck out to me as "good" was The Kite Runner. Yep, that's about it.

Then I took a Young Adult Literature class this past quarter. I had always turned my nose at YA Lit. Another case of being too cool for something younger than me. I'm an idiot. We had to read 9 novels for this class, but I'll just share the highlights with you.



John Green

I've now read all three of his novels: Looking for Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, and Paper Towns. All three are very good books, but An Abundance of Katherines might be the funniest book I've ever read. No joke. They're allegedly turning this into a movie, and I certainly hope that happens because it would be awesome.

The Maze Runner

This one was very popular among the class. I thought it was a decent read, but it just didn't quite live up to the hype. There is one very legitimate reason for this. There was a series of books that I read for the class that most of the others didn't:

The Hunger Games

Go out and get these books RIGHT NOW! Several of the kids in the honors class I observed told me I needed to read these books, so I decided to call them on it. I wasn't disappointed. Hubby read them along with me, and we both had finished all 3 books within a week and a half. It took me 4 days and this was at the end of the quarter with all my final projects and such due. Let's just say I lost a lot of sleep. These books are going to be the next Twilight as far as their popularity, but it's a very different story from Twilight. They're currently casting for the first movie and I can't wait to see it. As long as it's done right, a film of these books could be VERY powerful.

I'm currently reading 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher, but I'll hold off on sharing my opinion until I finish it. So there it is. That's what I read.

In other news, a quick and adorable story. Before Hubby and I left for vacay, it had been in the 60s and 70s around here, so our AC was on. I meant to switch it over to heat before we left. It was in the 70s the whole time we were in South Carolina, but then we get back to Ohio and it's in the 40s. Then we get back into our house and it's 58. I do not deal well with cold weather. I downright hate it. It makes me grouchy. It gives me dry skin. It makes my joints ache. I hate it. Hate it. Hate it. So anyway, I immediately turn the heat back on. Hubby starts a fire in the fireplace because he knows the central air won't warm up fast enough for me. Then an hour or so later I mention that I have had to pee since before we got home but I don't want to sit on an icy toilet seat. A few minutes later he disappears, and then I find him sitting on the toilet still fully clothed trying to warm up the toilet seat for me. That right there, ladies and gentlemen, is true love. He's the kind of husband I always dreamed of having, and there is no sarcasm in that statement whatsoever.

Until next time...

Toodles!

La la. La la la la. La la la la. La la.

No comments:

Post a Comment