Sunday, November 7, 2010

Children

Yep. My third post in the span of just a few hours. Why? Well, like I said, lots of stuff I've been meaning to write about. Mostly though, I'm trying to stay awake.

As I've said before, I've been married for about a year and a half. Surprisingly, there hasn't been TOO much pressure for us to have kids, but I definitely get asked if I'm pregnant all the time. If I mention I have a craving, someone asks me if I'm pregnant. If I mention I'm not feeling well, someone asks me if I'm pregnant. It really pisses me off, which just makes people do it more.

Anyway, in a manner of speaking, we already have children. Our three wonderful kitty cats Jack, Jasmine, and Lilly. 

Captain Jack

Princess Jasmine

Pretty Lilly
I know some people think it's absurd for people to refer to their pets as their children, but that's what they are to us. We very much want to have human babies, but not yet. Parenting humans is far more involved than parenting kitties, and if we were to reproduce, one of our career goals would have to fall by the wayside. It would most likely be mine as the idea of schlepping around a 30 pound beach ball attached to me at the belly while carrying another 20 pounds in my backpack on campus makes me cringe. So in the meantime, the kitties are our children. Period. Don't make fun. Don't roll your eyes. We love our cats dearly.

This became abundantly clear to me over the past couple days. Jack, our youngest, had some urinary tract issues about two weeks back. We took him to the vet, he prescribed some medication. We gave it to him. He sprung right back to normal in a couple of days. However, 2 mornings ago, I got home from work and he was acting very odd and lethargic again. We got up for class a couple hours later and it hadn't changed. I gave him some of his medicine only to return a few hours later and find that he had puked it all up. That night, when I got up, I tried to give him his medicine again in his food, but he wouldn't eat it. This worried me, but I had to go to work. Thanks to facebook friends and internet research I found out that Jack could be obstructed which could cause his kidneys to fail and toxins would increase in his bloodstream which could eventually kill him. I proceeded to freak right out.

My Jack. My little boy. I could lose him. Suffice it to say I was quite distraught all night. We took him to the vet first thing in the morning. He was obstructed. He would have to have a surgery of sorts and stay for the weekend. :( A lot of people might not give a rip about their pets, but we do. I would be devastated if anything happened to any of our cats. Now, we're not like crazy cat people with 30 cats floating around. We have 3. I brought 1 into the marriage, Hubby brought 2. We just love our cats very, very much.

I'm not sure what my point is with this. I know a friend just found out that one of her cats has cancer on her liver and won't survive more than a few months. She and her man are just as crazy about their cats as we are. So for those of you out there that see your pets as members of your family, you're not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment