Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Lookin Up

So it's been more than a month since I lost posted. In my defense, I've been quite busy BECAUSE hubby and I are buying a house. More on that in a minute. My last post was not exactly sunshine and rainbows, but it was the beginning of a process for me. I had been in a pretty dark place mentally and emotionally and that post was the start of me finding my way out of that dark place. Another part was trying to find solutions to some of the things in my life that I was unhappy about, one of them being our house in Mordor.

 I started by looking into houses for rent in the area and was pretty much coming up empty. There were some houses for rent, but they were either way too small and ghetto or about twice as much as our budget would allow. So...I decided to look into buying a house just to see if maybe it was possible. As it's turned out, not only was buying a house totally possible, but actually very beneficial. When all is said and done, we're going to be spending less per month in monthly bills than we have been in our Mordor home except with a whole lot more awesomeness and that's what I want to write about today. And I must interject here that God definitely provides. He's been there through this whole process, even in the seemingly small details.

Our new abode. Nothing Mordorish about it. It's also a lot bigger than it looks.

So I've decided to use this post to create of list of all the wonderful things about our new home that I will try my best to not take for granted in the future after living without them for the last year.

1. A dishwasher. (This has a huge impact on my emotional well-being. I hate dishes because doing dishes was used as punishment in my household. On the other hand, I also hate a cluttered and/or dirty kitchen. A dirty kitchen makes me not want to be in it which means I never cook which means I eat crap like hot dogs and Hot Pockets [although Pepperoni Pizza Hot Pockets are the bomb diggity]).
2. A decent sized kitchen sink. (Seriously, we have the smallest sink ever.)
3. Kitchen cabinets that match. (We have 3 different types of cabinets.)
4. Kitchen counters that match. (2 different counters - 1 green and 1 dark grey fake granite laminate)
5. A pantry that's insulated. (Opening our current pantry is like opening the door to a swamp.)
6. A sprayer for the kitchen sink that works. (Tiny sink + no sprayer = A PAIN)
7. An awesome layout that allows us to be able to be in the kitchen and still converse with anyone in the dining room or living room which means we can ENTERTAIN.
8. Beautiful tile floor in the kitchen and dining room.
9. A bigger fridge with an ice maker and water dispenser.
10. Carpet. (The cheap ass laminate floor we currently have is IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean.)
11. Windows that we can open. (We currently have a grand total of 2 windows that have screens.)
12. A 2 car garage.
13. A concrete and short driveway.
14. Living on a paved road. (#12-14 means we can FINALLY have our motorcycles at our house instead of at my in-laws house.)
15. An actual yard with grass. (Instead of living in a heavily wooded sandbox.)
16. A fenced in backyard. (We can get a doggie eventually.)
17. More storage in closets, garage, and attic.
18. Bigger master bedroom.
19. Walk-In closet in master bedroom.
20. Laundry facilities right outside the master bedroom. (instead of the other side of the house)
21. Neighbors (That aren't horses).
22. Pizza delivery (Seriously. Just imagine your life without this option. Ever.).
23. Internet speeds above that of dial-up.
24. Closer proximity to EVERYTHING.
25. We'll be investing in something that is ours that we will either keep forever, or eventually sell with at least some financial return instead of flushing our money down the pooper on rent.

I'm sure there will be many other small things that will show themselves once we're there. A good friend said that you wouldn't believe the peace of mind that comes with owning a decent house. Actually, after living in this craphole doublewide with snakes crawling underneath it, spiders crawling all over it, bugs crawling all in it, with the floor buckling and the walls cracking, out in the freakin boonies with a jacked up hiking trail for a driveway, I would believe it. And when we're in the new house by the end of this month, I will gladly bask in that peace of mind.

So things are looking up in the PirateGeek household. It looks like I'm starting my first long term substitute position on Friday at a brand new and very prestigious school where I just MIGHT actually be working for the rest of the year. Had an interview for a part time position there this past Friday, and I feel pretty confident about it. If I get it, then it will be abundantly clear to me what God had planned all along with this business of having 6 interviews with 0 job offers. If I don't get it, then it will be made clear to me later, and I'll be okay with that.

In the meantime, you might see more from me, you might not. I will almost certainly return to blogging after we move because I'll have my very own office with a big window right next to my desk that I can OPEN to let the sweet southern Fall air in which will undoubtedly inspire me to return to writing.

Until then, peace out y'all.

P.S. Buying a house is a ridiculous, scary, tedious, long, privacy invading process, but I might touch on that later. 



No comments:

Post a Comment