Saturday, February 19, 2011

ZombieGeek

Yeah, I haven't blogged in like 3 weeks or something. My bad. It's been a combination of sleep deprivation, being busy, and just not having much to say. So let me catch you up on the life of me:

I finally applied for graduation...again.
I only have one class left for next quarter.
I finally applied for graduate school. It'll be nice to not be a third year senior anymore.
The weather 'round here has been great this week. I even got to go out on the motorcycle a couple of times.
I finished 1984. It was depressing.
I also finished Fahrenheit 451. It was also depressing, but it was a very moving book.
I also finished Uglies by Scott Westerfield. It kinda sucked.
Hubby and I are getting a fat refund back from our taxes. We're planning to use it to buy a new(er) car to replace the unreliable POS I'm currently driving.
We also finally got a joint checking account and have crafted a budget that involves putting lots o monies into savings. It's pretty scary for both of us.
Pillbsbury Sweet Moments Bite-Size Brownies are heavenly.
Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs have returned.
I will never ever teach junior high. They are crazy and dumb in a very illogical manner. 

So there ya go. That's what's up with me.

If you all have been paying any attention at all to the news, you'll know that there is some sort of hoopla going on in Wisconsin. Here's the gist of it: the governor and his peeps are trying to end collective bargaining, in other words, they're trying to take all power away from the unions. Here's what most of America doesn't know: Ohio is on the verge of doing the exact same thing.

Now, let me be clear, I'm not some huge union advocate. I really don't give a rip if I'm part of a teacher's union or not. I'm confident enough in my education and my abilities as a teacher to not need a safety net. If a school district fires me unfairly, I don't want to work there anyway. But there are a lot of fine details that fall under this bill in Ohio that I'm not kosher with and I think are going to shaft the kids in the long run. For instance, when I finish my masters and get my teaching license, I will be licensed to teach grades 7-12. I will have been educated to properly teach that age group. If this bill passes, school districts, cities, the state, whoever could actually shove me in a Kindergarten classroom. Yeah...no. Not only would I not really be qualified to teach Kindergarten as teaching those wee rugrats requires an entirely different kind of teaching, but I wouldn't be good at it. I'm fairly sure I'll be a good high school teacher, but Kindergarten? Or even anything below ninth grade - no. So what does this mean for the kids? It means they might get stuck with a teacher in elementary school that is not qualified at all to teach them. There's more specific info about it here.

As I said, I'm not a big union person. I understand how many might think unions have gotten too powerful. However, I am vehemently opposed to anything that will make educating our kids even more difficult than it already is. I plan on leaving the state of Ohio anyway, but knowing that I have friends around here whose kids could be getting a crummy education because their government for some reason doesn't value educating young people infuriates me.

On a lighter note, once I get to Spring quarter, you might hear from me a bit more since I'll only have one class and NO observations at all. It's gonna be awesome. :)

Peace out!

1 comment:

  1. Man, I really hope they don't come after unions for federal government workers...that would suck for me. Good luck completing the rest of your school, and good luck after graduation teaching junior high. It takes a lot of grit to be a teacher.

    ReplyDelete